½” (12 mm)
Light brown with 2 pale bands running across wings
Brown banded cockroach find beneath tables and chairs, dresser, and chest. Look also behind picture, light fixtures, near motor of refrigerator and other appliances, along picture molding, on rough plaster walls and ceiling, and especially on the ceiling and upper walls of cabinets, pantries and closet. Look for tiny black droppings, attached egg capsule, or cast skins where they have fallen from above onto shelves or ledges.
The brown banded cockroach does not seem to require as much moisture as German cockroaches. This helps explain why they are commonly found in rooms other than the kitchen or Bathroom. These cockroaches strongly avoid light and are not normally seen during the day.
Like all cockroaches that invade buildings, this species prefers to spend much of its time resting in cracks and voids. Most of its activity will occur at night when it feels safe to move about in search of food and water.
Brown banded cockroach prefers feeding on starchy materials. However, it can be found feeding on almost anything possesses organic matter, even organic glues used in books and cabinets.
- Cockroaches have many negative consequences for human health because certain proteins (called allergens) found in cockroach feces, saliva and body parts can cause allergic reactions or trigger asthma symptoms, especially in children.
- Cockroaches can also passively transport microbes on their body surfaces including pathogens that are potentially dangerous to humans. Cockroaches have been implicated in the spread 33 kinds of bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella species, six parasitic worms and more than seven other types of human pathogens.
- E. coli and Salmonella are classic causes of food poisoning, or gastroenteritis. Common symptoms include belly pain, severe stomach cramps and tenderness, diarrhea which can sometimes be bloody, nausea and vomiting. Some people can experience severe diarrhea, which will cause dehydration and may require hospitalization. In rare cases, the bacteria can spread to the blood stream and cause life threatening infections.
Brown Banded roach Prevention Tips
- In commercial facilities, avoid storing food items in cardboard boxes on shelves. Cardboard is a preferred harborage site for cockroaches.
- Inspect all incoming food goods, boxes, and used furniture and appliances for the presence of cockroaches or their egg capsules. Remove any cockroaches or egg capsules using a vacuum or otherwise killing the insects.
- In homes, do not store paper bags under the sink or elsewhere in the kitchen. Store bags in the garage or room other than the kitchen, utility room, or bathrooms.
Protects Your Business And Your Reputation